Thursday, January 05, 2006

Tree Delay

Well, I haven't gotten my tree yet. I got to the nursery and found all the bare root trees in the back shed covered with a sign:
Quarantined until Inspected for the dreaded Glassy-winged Sharpshooter

So I will have to wait until next week to see what my new Golden Dorsett looks like. It will give me time to confirm some info on trees that my Mom wants. She has more leeway in a choice as she has more chill hours, being close to Sacramento.

Well, beyond this pre-occupation, I was wondering what to do with some wild mushrooms that a friend had gathered and given to me. They are so tasty, I just wish I had some growing here. I certainly have lots of other wild mushrooms growing everywhere. I took her recommendation and "processed" them by frying them for a short time, just enough to give them some color and I'm going to put some aside to freeze. But I was thinking it would make some good carbonara and pierogis. I decided to make the carbonara tonight.

If you want to try it, would imagine fresh porcini or maybe portabello would work. Use the best quality parmesean cheese you can find. I can't find the recipe that I used to use as a teen, but I pretty much know it by heart. This is two servings (especially hearty and could probably use a salad on the side) and increase if you needed. The original used 6 eggs, etc.

2 small or medium eggs
1/3 cup parmesean
1 Tbs butter
1/2 leek (or onion)
1 1/2 cup mushrooms
4 oz pasta, spaghetti or fettucini

Whisk the eggs with the parmsean and set aside. Saute the leek and mushrooms in the butter. In the meantime, cook the pasta. The saute should be ready to add when the pasta is cooked. When the pasta is cooked, drain and quickly return to the pan. Drizzle the egg mixture into the pasta as it is being tossed. Have a friend help if needed, one pours, one tosses. The idea is to coat the hot noodles so the cheese melts and the egg cooks slightly. When it goes right, it makes a lovely cheesy coat on the noodles. Sometimes it clumps, as the egg cooks too much, but it's just as tasty. Add the saute and toss.

You can add meat, italian sausage, or ham, or prosciutto, but I think it's fine on its own. The original recipe is just onions, but I had ingredients to use up. I also think that whole wheat noodles would have complemented the mushrooms better, but I only had regular spaghetti.

Well, as odd as this seems, there's my dinner on the web.

No comments: