Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oh yeah, Ollas!

I would rarely ever say that if I could, I'd swap my life with ::fill-in-the-blank::. And the operative word is rarely. I'm comforted by the fact that as I get older, I become more comfortable with me being where I am at and who I am. It doesn't mean that I don't have goals, and that I'm not endlessly trying to work towards those goals. Quite the opposite. However, if I -had- to be instantly transported into another person's situation, I would gladly take that of the Devraes family at Path to Freedom. (Although, knowing karmic mischief I'd probably be transported to an apartment dweller living near an industrial park.) If anything, they inspire me all the time with ways I can improve my life and my garden.

For example, I am very inspired by the ollas irrigation that they just installed. I realized this would be the perfect solution for my blackberries and raspberries that I have placed in a further than usual spot in the yard, mostly because I wanted the plants in the ground and I am fully expecting to develop that space more this summer. My fear was that as the maxim says, "the garden ends at the end of the hose" would prove true and the plants would die due to lack of attention. They are doing okay, as this evening's watering proved, but an olla would help allay my worries.

On another note, I am pleased to see that the gophers show no interest in the brambles or the sage. I noticed trails right through the bed and the plants are there and doing fine. I suspected as much, but I'm glad that not everything has to be put in a cage/raised bed.
List of plants my gophers are ignoring:
Rubus fructicosus (Brambles i.e.raspberry, blackberry)
Salvia (officianalis, spathacea)
Tagetes (erecta? I'm guessing)
Origanum vulgaris hirtum (Oregano - Greek)
Narcissus (Daffodils and paperwhites)

Of course, now that I've said that, they'll eat it.

No comments: