Thursday, July 06, 2006

Name that bug


So this evening I'm down in the garden, picking peas, watering, dead-heading, poking in some beet and carrot seeds, when I noticed this odd bug fly by. It flew upright, had black, clear wings similar to a wasp. It also had something that was reddish in color that hung down looking like tuxedo tails. I was thinking it could have even been a clear wing moth. Needless to say, it got my attention. So I'm following it as it's cruising through the garden, hoping it will settle so I can get a good look at it. We veer to the right, we veer to the left. I'm just about to catch up to it when over my shoulder flies a towhee and swoop! He nabs it out of the air and makes a quick dinner of the bug.

What was the bug? Obviously he was a dinner bug (dressed for it too).

No comments: